Skip to main content

The two most used types of Building Regulations applications are a Full Plans or a Building Notice application. You can find a full explanation about both types below. 

Where work has already been carried out without us being notified please read the details below about Regularisation applications.

This type of application is usually submitted by an agent or architect. We would normally recommend this route as it enables contractors to quote for your project more accurately, whether it is for a loft conversion or your new home. It means your builder will be working on site with a set of approved plans rather than being solely reliant on their knowledge of the building regulations. (Building regulations drawings are far more detailed than planning drawings. They include construction details and notes and information to prove compliance with the relevant parts of the building regulations.)

The plans are deposited and checked for compliance with the building regulations and at the end an approval is issued. This requires the submission of constructional drawings, details and a specification of the intended scheme before work starts on site. All buildings which fall within the requirements of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 ie shops, offices etc must be submitted by this method.

One of our building control surveyors will carry out a detailed appraisal of the proposals and request any additional information if it is needed. Once compliance has been achieved an approval notice will be issued which remains valid for three years from the date the application and plan fee were deposited with us. Minor variations in construction can be agreed as work progresses, however major changes may require amended plans and further details to be submitted.

A building notice can only be used for domestic work and is only advisable for smaller works such as underpinning, internal alterations or reroofing and does not require the submission of plans with the notice. If you do choose this method for larger works such as a conversion or extension a location plan will be required at a scale of no less than 1:1250.

The exception to this would be if your project is within 3m of a public sewer. Unless you already have a “Build Over Agreement” you will need to submit a Full Plans Application.

We may need further details to be submitted before or during the construction process.  This could include structural engineer's calculations to ensure compliance, but we will make you aware of this as early as possible.

Once a notice has been received and providing all details are correct, a building notice acknowledgement will be issued. Works can then start on site within 48 hours. You should be confident that your builder is competent to work without a set of plans annotated to show compliance with the building regulations and has a good understanding of current legislation.

If you have already carried out building works without obtaining building regulations approval, you can submit a regularisation application. Regularisation applies to both domestic and non-domestic work.  However, it only applies work carried out after 11 November 1985.

You will need to download and complete a regularisation application form, and include plans showing the scheme as built.

Once you have submitted an application and paid the fee, you will be asked to open up and uncover works as directed by our building control surveyor. This is so that structural elements can be inspected and approved. You may also be asked to submit additional information such as structural calculations.

Provided the work is found to be satisfactory, a regularisation certificate will be issued. This will act in the same way as a completion certificate. (The document we issue following a satisfactory final inspection and receipt of any relevant certificates related to an application.)