Skip to main content

Make a Building Regs application

Apply Now

Wood Burning Stoves

If you are planning to install a domestic solid fuel, wood or biomass stove, either in an existing chimney or a new flue, you will need building regulations approval.

There are two ways to do this. The first is by using an installer registered under a Competent Person Scheme, such as HETAS. This means the installer can self-certify his work. The notice of compliance using this route must be notified to us within 30 days of completion of the works.

If the installer is not registered with a scheme, or you are installing the stove yourself, the alternative route is to apply to us online using a building notice at least 48 hours before the work takes place.

The downloadable document below provides background information and advice to help you achieve compliance with the regulations.