We use cookies on our website to improve our service to you, by continuing you agree to our use of cookies. However you are able to update your settings at any time.

Cookie Policy

A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is a piece of data stored by a website within a browser, and then subsequently sent back to the same website by the browser. Cookies were designed to be a reliable mechanism for websites to remember things that a browser had done there in the past, which can include having clicked particular buttons, logging in, or having read pages on that site months or years ago.

Strictly Necessary Cookies

These cookies cannot be disabled

These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off. They are normally set in response to your interactions on the website e.g. logging in etc.

  • __RequestVerificationToken
  • authentication
  • dnn_IsMobile
  • language
  • LastPageId
  • NADevGDPRCookieConsent_portal_0
  • userBrowsingCookie

Performance Cookies

These cookies allow us to monitor traffic to our website so we can improve the performance and content of our site. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited or how you navigated around our website.

  • _ga
  • _gat
  • _gid

Functional Cookies

These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and content. They may be set by the website or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies then some or all of these services may not function properly.


Currently we are not utilizing these types of cookies on our site.

Targeting Cookies

These cookies may be set through our site by our advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant adverts on other sites. They do not store directly personal information, but are based on uniquely identifying your browser and internet device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.


Currently we are not utilizing these types of cookies on our site.

Skip to main content


What is a completion certificate and why do I need it for building work in my house?

A completion certificate is your proof that building work has been inspected by building control and is safe and you should keep it in a safe place as you’ll need it if you sell or re-mortgage your home.

The absence of a completion certificate can delay a sale process and you are advised to discuss this with your solicitor at an early stage if this applies

Carry out an online property history search

The simplest and quickest way to find historical building control application information for a property in Mole Valley, Reigate & Banstead or Tandridge is to use our online search facility. You will find information going back to 2000 for Reigate & Banstead and Tandridge properties and from *1 June 2017 for Mole Valley.

To carry out a search via address or application number, please visit this web page for more information. This search facility is free of charge and will return a short summary of the work which has taken place, including competent persons scheme and Initial Notice information. 

*Mole Valley District Council provides a free online property history search facility for applications prior to 1 June 2017.

Our online search does not replace a full Land Charges search provided by our member authorities, and we take no responsibility for errors/omissions in the information returned via our online search. 

Copy completion certificates can be requested from our three individual councils. (A charge may be payable.) Please contact them below. To help speed up the process, give as much detail as possible, including dates, full address and building regulations application numbers.

June 2017 onwards

Southern Building Control Partnership is a council service, however we only hold copies of completion certificates that have been issued since June 2017. If you need a copy completion certificate from June 2017 onwards, we make a charge of £25 per certificate (payable before the certificate is issued). Please use our Contact Form to make a request and we will contact you via email to arrange payment.

It is helpful if you can provide the building regulations application number(s) in your request.  If you do not have these, use our free online search. Please allow five working days for us to respond to your request.


For applications deposited prior to 9 January 2013.

You should confirm the status of the application with your local authority. If a completion certificate was not issued when the work was completed Southern Building Control Partnership is unable to issue a certificate retrospectively. A letter which sets out the regulations applicable to your application can be issued. The letter will state the regulations that existed at that time and our position relating to enforcement action. Before using this service, and if you are selling your property, you should discuss this with your solicitor. 

For applications deposited after 9 January 2013.

Where a completion certificate has not been issued, the regulations allow the partnership to:

Assess the application and carry out further inspections. Inspections of this type can be complex and may require works to be opened up or rectified before a certificate can be issued. There is a charge of £150 for this service and for more details, please use our online contact form.


We can provide a copy of the inspection summary and a letter confirming the last inspection date and our position relating to enforcement action There is a charge of £25 for this service. Please use our online contact form.

Please check with your solicitor before requesting either of these services.

If your property searches indicate that you did not apply for building regulations for your project, and the work started after November 1985, you can apply for the work to be regularised. More information on Regularisation applications can be found here

The links below will direct you to the member authorities' websites. Please note there is a charge payable for a Land Charges search and you will find details on the individual websites.