Skip to main content

Since 1 January 2005 the design, installation, inspection and testing of electrical installations has been notifiable to building control under Part P of the building regulations.

Part P applies mainly to dwelling houses and flats including gardens and outbuildings such as sheds, detached garages and greenhouses.

Small jobs such as adding a socket outlet or a light switch on an existing circuit will not need to be notified to building control, although there will be some exceptions for high risk areas such as kitchens and bathrooms. Please check with us if you aren’t sure.

All work which involves adding a new circuit to a dwelling, or electrical work in kitchens and bathrooms or in 'special locations' will need to be either notified to building control on a building notice application form, or carried out by a competent person who is registered with a Part P self-certification scheme.

Use an electrician who is registered with a Competent Person Scheme

And you won’t need to make an application to us as they will notify us on your behalf through their Competent Person Scheme. We strongly encourage use of electricians/installers who are part of a Competent Person Scheme and to check if they are Part P certified you can use this search facility.

You should however ensure you not only receive a completion certificate from your electrician but also the compliance certificate direct from your electrician’s Competent Person Scheme ie NAPIT/NICEIC etc.

If you choose not to use a Part P registered electrician

You will need to submit a building notice application form to us at least 48 hours before the work is started and we will arrange for our consultant to inspect the electrical work and issue a completion certificate on satisfactory completion. See Table C of our fee schedule for the fee payable

If you discover your electrician was not a Part P registered electrician

Where the work has not been carried out in accordance with the above, this will involve full inspection and testing by the Council’s suitably qualified appointed person and the relevant fee will be charged in accordance with the Scheme of Charges. (Please note we don't accept third party inspection reports from anyone other than our approved contractor.)

If building control hasn't got a copy of your compliance certificate

We will need this to be registered so that we can issue your Completion Certificate after we have carried out a satisfactory final inspection of your project. Your Part P electrician will be a member of one of the Competent Person Schemes.  As well as completing an installation certificate, which they should leave with you when they have finished, they should notify their Competent Person Scheme.

This will generate a certificate of compliance under the building regulations. You will receive this directly from the scheme and at the same time we will receive an electronic notification which we will register against your property. If you don't receive your certificate within 30 days of completion, contact the Competent Person Scheme operator that your installer is registered with such as NICEIC/ELECSA/NAPIT and they may be able to help you resolve the matter. (Make sure you know the name of the scheme they belong to and when and who carried out the work before you make contact.)