Skip to main content

Make a Building Regs application

Apply Now

Part P Electrical Work

Since 1 January 2005 the design, installation, inspection and testing of electrical installations has been notifiable to building control under Part P of the building regulations.

Part P applies mainly to dwelling houses and flats including gardens and outbuildings such as sheds, detached garages and greenhouses.

Small jobs such as adding a socket outlet or a light switch on an existing circuit will not need to be notified to building control, although there will be some exceptions for high risk areas such as kitchens and bathrooms. Please check with us if you aren’t sure.

All work which involves adding a new circuit to a dwelling, or electrical work in kitchens and bathrooms or in 'special locations' will need to be either notified to building control on a building notice application form, or carried out by a competent person who is registered with a Part P self-certification scheme.

Use an electrician who is registered with a Competent Person Scheme...

And you won’t need to make an application to us as they will notify us on your behalf through their Competent Person Scheme. We strongly encourage use of electricians/installers who are part of a Competent Person Scheme and to check if they are Part P certified you can use this search facility.

You should however ensure you not only receive a completion certificate from your electrician but also the compliance certificate direct from your electrician’s Competent Person Scheme ie NAPIT/NICEIC etc.

If you choose not to use a Part P registered electrician...

You will need to submit a building notice application form to us at least 48 hours before the work is started and we will arrange for our consultant to inspect the electrical work and issue a completion certificate on satisfactory completion. See Table C of our fee schedule for the fee payable

If you discover your electrician was not a Part P registered electrician...

Where the work has not been carried out in accordance with the above, this will involve full inspection and testing by the Council’s suitably qualified appointed person and the relevant fee will be charged in accordance with the Scheme of Charges.